Saturday, July 12, 2008

Introduction

My three grown daughters and wife insist that I find another audience for my "rantings." Why I don't know, because they have always said that I think I know everything. That simply is not true. When I don't know anything about a subject, I am the first to say that I don't know. Granted that doesn't happen often, because I am a voracious reader and connoisseur of current events. They, on the other hand, remain embarrassingly void of current event knowledge unless you count the contents of People magazine.

In the spirit of fair disclosure, permit me to tell you a little about myself. I am known as Pops by my children, grandchildren and wife. I am 67 years young, retired after a 38 year career in corporate America, including "tours" of duty in the oil (I spent most of my life in Oklahoma and Texas), building materials and packaging industries. I am a journalist by education and a corporate communicator by profession.

Politically, I describe myself as an economic conservative, a social moderate and an ardent believer in maintaining a strong defense. I am a registered Republican but have had strong issues with the Grand Old Party since it abdicated control of its destiny to the ultra right wing led by Newt and his gang. In college at the University of Oklahoma I was a member of the Young Democrats or as we used to be called--Dixiecrats. With the nomination of George McGovern, I lost all respect (yet to be regained) for the party of Jefferson and Jackson. You will find that my positions range across the gamut of political opinion, ranging from Populist to liberal to conservative. Frankly, I don't like labels. What I do like are people who form their political opinions based solely on facts and not emotions. I do not suffer fools lightly. I do like people who can think for themselves and ,given "the facts," come to an intelligent conclusion. I admire those who can change their minds when the facts change . I despise political demogogues, whatever their party might be.

Although my musings will cover far more than politics (better be ready for some Sooner football), this is the area I will start with first as it is timely. The next time we visit, again in the interest of full disclosure, I'll give you my list of things that really chap my butt in this season of lies, half truths, promises that are impossible to keep and statements about the need for change without ever defining what the term means.

You may not agree with me, and frankly I don't care. I'll feel accomplished if I can just challenge your thinking or get you to start thinking at all. Finally, let's don't take each other so seriously that we miss a little humor or tongue in cheek when it comes our way. No subject will be off the table. And if rants against radio and television evangelists and other charlatans trying to get into the pocketbooks of seniors are going to offend you, it would be wise to find another blog.

Regards,

Pops

1 comment:

Jill said...

FINALLY...
I have been waiting all week. I am sure my child has had to listen to rants because you waited so long to put it on paper. :-)