Friday, August 15, 2008

Please, No More Apologies For America

Senator Obama(and his wife) and other left leaning politicians and media pundits seem possessed with the need to continuously apologize for America, insinuating that in some way we have wronged the world and need to change our ways. The most common attack seems to center on Pres. Bush's "lack of sensitivity" in foreign affairs. I don't know about you, but I for one have heard enough America bashing by self-serving politicians. No, I'm not opposed to criticizing our nation's government when warranted. Indeed, that is a bedrock of a democracy. I am opposed, however, to inferring that there is something inherently wrong with America and its moral compass.

While watching the Olympics this week, I have been struck by the fact that many of the athletes representing multiple countries around the world are actually living, going to college and training in the US. Indeed, many of the athletes representing the US were born in other countries. How could one not be moved by the accomplishments of our gold medal winner, Nastia Liukin, as the best individual gymnast in the world. She immigrated to the US from Russia at the age of 2 and one-half years of age, along with her father and coach, a former gold medal winner for Russia, and mother. Shawn Johnson, the silver medal winner from Des Moines, Iowa, is coached by an immigrant from China. So many of these folks from other nations chose to come to the US to pursue the American dream. On the other hand, I've seen no example of an American who has chosen to immigrate to another country to live and train.

The US is not perfect, but obviously a whole lot of people from around the world believe it is a damn site better than any other alternative. We all take our freedoms and opportunities as Americans far too much for granted. Based on what I see in the Olympics and the continuing backlog of immigrants awaiting citizenship, not to mention the thousands of illegals, there must be something right about our country.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yea, Pops. I always love your positive and uplifting rants!

Jill said...

I actually get more the rants written then from the mouth...you might have actually made some sense all these years I just couldn't 'hear' the message!

Anonymous said...

Pops, to know you is to love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping you will post something about your thoughts on the McCain house question. I know my thoughts on it, but was wondering about it from a PR standpoint.